March 26, 2008

Jerk Elbow and Sharing germs.

So the kids have been sick for about 10 days now. They all came down with a cold a week ago Monday. By Thursday night they were ALL running fevers and feeling yucky. By the next morning Future felt better, Jasmyn was looking like she would be OK, but Kaleb & Mason were still pretty sick. When Kaleb started complaining about his ear hurting I called the Dr for an appointment. They got us scheduled for later that afternoon.

We went to our appointment and the staff was running behind so we waited and waited and waited. The kids were getting restless. So when the nurse FINALLY called us back, mason wanted to walk. He reached up and took my hand and the 5 of us walked back towards the exam room. Mason suddenly tripped and I instinctively held onto his hand to catch him from falling. Then I heard a loud POP. Mason starting screaming. I thought " oh crap, I just yanked his elbow out of alignment". I alerted the nurse and the Dr right away to what had happened. I felt like the WORST Mom on the face of the earth for hurting him. We were seeing the nurse practitioner since we were being "fit in" to the schedule. She reduced his elbow and thought she had it in place. Mason still was crying. She said that most likely his elbow was still just sore. She continued the exams of both Mason and Kaleb and found them to both have double ear infections. Mason was crying the whole time. While we were waiting for the prescriptions we stepped out into the hall for the kids to get their suckers. Our regular pediatrician was in the hall and asked why Mason was crying. I told him about the "jerk elbow". Dr. K walked over and examined Mason's elbow. He reduced it AGAIN and instantly Mason stopped crying. Yay it was finally back in place. I was so relieved. But now that it has happened once to his elbow it is at higher risk to happen again. Dr K told me to be careful when holding his hand, no swinging him between Tim and I, no horseplay with his arms at all until he gets older and his joints get stronger. Thankfully Mason was back to his normal self and using his arm fully by later that night.


As for me, the children have "shared" their germs with me. LOL! So I now have a yucky cold and a horrible cough. Thankfully Tim is home to help care for the munchkins while I recover. Keep us in your thoughts and prayers that we all get healthy and remain that way!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to leave a comment and see how they work. I was hoping someone else would leave a comment, but maybe it isn't an easy process????

Anyway, Here goes....
Jen

Anonymous said...

Nope it's easy peasy. So I guess nobody wants to comment???? LOL!