August 31, 2009

Mother's Blessing Part 4: Tying Hands with Yarn

This is the final blog about my Mother's Blessing! I have written up 4 blogs in total to tell the story! It has been so much fun sharing all the details of this fabulous celebration that my friends created for me! I feel an immense amount of love and support from the ladies that were present for the celebration and the ladies that have participated in the Blessing after wards. Here is yet another opportunity for my friends and family that were not able to attend to take part in this awesome blessing!

The last piece of this Mother's Blessing was the tying of our hands with yarn. It was a way to unite us all in love and support around myself and the baby. A way of recognizing that we are all connected by the ancient women who came before us, who were strong and wise, that birthed the way Nature intended.... free from restrictions, interventions and surrounded by their village of women offering them support as they brought forth their babies. Below is Sara's description of what tying hands of yarns is, why we do it and how to do it:

We sit in a circle around Jen, surrounded by Nature's serenity and beauty, in tune with the Earth Mother. Let’s join hands to create a circle of light around Jen to give her our love and feminine energy. We have created a complete circle, and even though we break our hands, the circle will continue around Jen through her pregnancy and birth, reminding her that we are her circle of women, giving her love and strength and courage and sending her our energy for an easy and peaceful birth. I would like us to join in an ancient tradition of tying our hands together into a circle, each woman wraps the wrist of the woman next to her, and as she winds the yarn around, we all say "From women we are born into this circle, from women we are born unto this Earth". A single yarn will connect all of us. Our circle is complete; we are all connected to Jen and each other as her circle of women. Now we will each go around the circle and cut the yarn between our hands, but even though the yarn is cut and we separate, our circle is still there. When Jen goes into labor, each of you will be contacted and we will all break our bracelets and send Jen our feminine energy, blessings, prayers and thoughts as she peacefully labors.

We used a ball of cotton yarn with purple blue and green threads intertwined. Here is a picture of our circle: Here is my wrist wrapped with the yarn... connected to all the ancient women and to you!

If anyone is interested in wearing a length of the string that was bound in our circle at my Mother’s Blessing I would be happy to send you a piece (some of my close family and friends already have a piece being mailed to them as I write this). I invite you to wrap this string around your wrist or ankle to wear as a reminder of me and my baby as my pregnancy continues and as I prepare to birth. By wearing this string you are accepting your place with the ancient women whom we are all connected to, therefore offering your support, love and energy to me as I prepare to birth. I will think of you and your personal feminine strength joined with the strength of all the ancient women as I birth my baby. These feelings of strength and energy will provide comfort, love and support to me and my baby as we work together to bring him out of my body and into the light.

I will update my facebook status, post on this blog, send a text message and send out an email when my birthing time begins. At that time you may remove your yarn and send up your thoughts, prayers, and blessings to me as I peacefully birth my baby. Thank you for loving me and for being part of my circle.

No comments: