March 10, 2009

Jen's Pregnancy Update 1

This is where I write out all the important or at least pertinent information that I glean from my Drs. appointments that relate directly to my pregnancy. I have done this with every pregnancy thus far, but since this is my first pregnancy since starting this blog, I will be doing the updates here instead of through email. I will be using the same title as above "Jen's Pregnancy Update" and then the correct number. Should make it easier to keep track. Well at least that is the goal!

I am going to lump my first 4 appointments into this post because it makes it easier and catches everyone up to date.

At every appointment with the MW I test my urine for glucose and protein. It is a simple dip stick test. I also weigh myself on their scale and then report my findings to the MW. This is their way of making me a team player in my own health care. Either that or they just don't like handling another person's pee! LOL! They also take my blood pressure, feel my tummy for my fundus, and listen to baby's heart rate. So in all my MW appt notes you will see some abbreviations like BP (blood Pressure) BHR (baby's heart rate) Gluc (glucose) Prot (protein) FH (Fundus Height). Wit my weight I will just say + x pounds. I know what my baseline is. Nobody needs to know what that number is! LOL! Just wanted to clarify here once instead of every appt update.

February 3, 2009 Appt with Linda my Midwife

Weight: Got baseline number
Gluc: Neg
Protein: Neg
BP: 120/80
BHR: Too early to detect
FH: still in pelvis, not measurable.


At this appointment we basically went over their office policies, talked about their on call schedule, and who I would most likely be seeing for most of my appointments. Things have not changed that much since my birth with Mason. We are still planning to have a home birth as long as everything stays low risk and normal.

We discussed what medications I am on and whether I needed to discontinue any of them.

I am on Levoxyl for my Thyroid and will be followed my by Endocrinologist Dr. L very closely throughout my pregnancy. I will be having monthly blood draws to check thyroid function. Dr. L will adjust my medication level as needed throughout. As soon as I told Dr. L I was pregnant he increased my dosage by 25%. So instead of taking 125mcg per day, I am now taking a 142mcg per day. My blood draw on Feb 2nd supports his increase of dosage.

I am on Metformin as well. I take Metformin to help with Insulin resistance. It basically helps regulate all my hormones from insulin to progesterone to estrogen etc. Linda my MW was unsure if this medication was safe for pregnancy. She asked that I go see Dr. L to make sure.

I am also on Prozac. This medication is known to be safe during pregnancy. Although I could go off it, I am not sure I want to. It really had helped tremendously with my overall emotional levels. I don't think at this time I will adjust it. My therapist and my old OB both told me it was safe to take while pregnant. My MW agrees with that.

We also talked about my due date. Based on LMP (Last Menstrual Period) my Due date would be 10/6/09. Based on my calculations I say 10/4/09. But honestly, neither date is all that important because baby gets to decide when s/he is born. Beside the fact I tend to be a slow cooker when it comes to pregnancy, so I am anticipating the baby to be at least 1 week overdue. So my guess date is 10/11/09.

She also drew my blood for the thyroid panel, a 90 day glucose test, RH antibodies, Hemoglobin, and Hematocrit. I think there might have been other tests, but I don't remember.

On to my next appointment:

February 20th, 2009 Inland Imaging for the 1st ultrasound.

I have already posted the pictures from the ultrasound here and here. Basically they found 1 baby inside my uterus. Baby's heart rate BHR: 154.67bpm. The full report will be sent to my MW.

February 27, 2009 with Endocrinologist Dr. L

They weighed me and from my last visit in June to my visit in Feb (8 mos) I have lost 20 pounds. They were thrilled with that. :) Me too!

He did his normal exam, checked my neck for goiters, did my reflexes, told me to not take prenatal vitamins containing calcium within 4 hrs of my Levoxyl (calcium inhibits my body absorption of levoxyl). Exam was normal. He had received my blood test results from my 2/3/09 draw and the numbers look good. He left my Levoxyl level at the same dosage.

I asked him about the Metformin and pregnancy. He said that recent research has shown Metformin to be safe during pregnancy. I think it is because Metformin helps keep insulin and glucose levels in check which could in turn help a pregnant mom avoid gestational diabetes. So I will stay on the Metformin throughout my pregnancy. Dr. L also wants to make sure I do my Glucouse tolerance test at 28wks. I assured him I will. I have with the other pregnancies, so I will with this one as well.

He reminded me that I will need to have monthly blood draws to monitor my thyroid function. I agreed to that as well. He scheduled me for a follow up appointment with him in August.

That was pretty much it.

March 10, 2009 Appointment with Beth my Midwife

Weight: same
Gluc: neg
Prot: Neg
BP: 120/88 (a little high, probably because I am sick)
BHR: She could not get the BHR. It is still early. But she could hear the baby moving around.
FH: +4 which means 4cm above my pubic bone.

She gave me blood test results.
Glucose 90 day screen was normal.
Thyroid panel was normal.
Rh antibodies: Neg
Hemoglobin: 11.6 normal
Hematocrit: 34.6 A tiny bit low. I need to eat more iron rich foods.

She gave me the U/S report. It says my placenta is anterior and has slight placenta previa. That is dr terms for placenta is currently on front side of uterus and slightly covering the cervix. The previa is what freaks me out a bit. MW assured me it will move. As your uterus grows, the placenta grows and moves as well. But this is something we will have to check again at my 22 wk ultrasound. Previa that does not move out of the way by your 38th week is an automatic scheduled c-section. Placenta obviously cannot be born before the baby. The only way to ensure the safety of baby and Mom is to do a c-section. This would obviously be a complete opposite of my birth plan. I would do the c-section in this case, but it would be a very difficult adjustment for me. So keep me in your prayers that the placenta moves out of the way.

Then she drew my blood for my March thyroid panel and made my next appointment: April 14th.

If you have any questions or comments please let me know. Hit the comment option at the top under the title and it will send me an email.

No comments: