July 29, 2009

Trip to Sanpoint and a Grandma story

After our visit with Aunt Hallie we decided to head down to the Sandpoint City Beach to play for a while before driving back home. The kids have not been swimming in a lake since last year but they are loving the pool so much I figured the beach would be awesome for them. Thankfully I was right! They really did love it!

Here is Mason playing on the shore.

Jasmyn & Kaleb wasted no time jumping right in!


It was funny that they kept asking me about sharks and eels. They also wanted to know why there were no sea shells. It was a funny conversation.

They also packed sand shovels and buckets to build sand castles. They had fun finding pretty rocks and peices of drift wood to add to their sand castles. Kaleb found a leaf to use as a flag. It was very fun and really reminded me of Dave and I playing in the sand at the same beach.

Jasmyn

Kaleb
And here is one of all three of my munchkins on the beach! I love that you can see the beach, the water, and the mountains in the back ground. Sandpoint always has and always will feel like "home" to me.


One of my fondest memories as a child was a hot day in July when my Grandma walked my brother, my cousin and I down to the beach and took us swimming. My grandparents lived only 4-5 blocks from the beach. But Grandma was not very mobile. Her arthritis was very debilitating. She could not walk for very long distances, and was quite honestly house bound for most of my childhood. So the fact that she walked 4-5 blocks to take us swimming was a HUGE thing for us. I remember she sat on a bench in the shade and watched us swim. She chatted with other beach goers and had a wonderful time. After an hour or so she took us over to the concessions stand and bought us a popscicle. It was the best day of my summer that year. And now one of my most fond memories of my Grandma.

So after going to see Aunt Hallie and being reminded of some memories I had forgotten about Grandma, it was a real treat to take my kids to the same side of the beach, sit on a chair, chat with other beach goers and make my kid's day. We had ice cream at Serv-a-burger on our way out of town. It was a full circle moment. Thanks Grandma. I miss you so much and am so happy that today I got to visit you in my own memories.

1 comment:

Steph said...

What a great trip, Jen! Wasn't your grandma and her sister orphans? Were your grandma's parents native to Sandpoint - I guess, did Jean & Hallie grow up in Sandpoint?

I hope my trip to Moscow is as good as yours was to Sandpoint!