May 10, 2009

Happy Mother's day!

I have to admit I started out this weekend in a bad mood. Tim is still out of town for work. He got stuck in Portland for another week. I was really looking forward to him being home and pampering me. Especially after I just spent the past week being a single Mom while Mason was sick, I had a few time pressing commitments to honor as well as a field trip for Jasmyn that was planned with VERY short notice. So when Tim called me on Thursday and told me he was gonna stay this next week I was BEYOND bummed. I really need(ed) a break. I really wanted to be pampered and loved on like only Tim knows how to do. He usually makes sure I don't have to cook, clean, change a diaper, get up with the kids, or anything for the WHOLE WEEKEND! (Don't worry I reciprocate on Father's Day!) I get to sleep in, do crafty stuff that I want to do, get a pedicure (sometimes given by Tim). Wow! Reading all of that and I really realize how much I am spoiled. (sssshhhhh don't tell Tim!)

So this morning I woke up to my little son Kaleb giving me a hug and saying" Happy Mother's day Mommy". (smile). Then as I am laying there waking up slowly I hear him in the living room talking to Mason. He asks Mason if Mason made me a card. No Mason hadn't. Then I hear Kaleb getting into the art cabinet. He is talking to Mason and helping him make me a card. (smile). Jasmyn gets up. Kaleb asks her if she wants to make a card for me. She does. So I hear them make another trip to the art cabinet for more supplies. I just lay there listening to them talk about the cards and Mother's day. After a few minutes I get up and get dressed.

When I walk into the kitchen and on the table is 2 gifts (the kids made at school) and 3 cards. Kaleb takes me by the hand and ushers me to my chair. He hands me the cards and the presents. How sweet! I open the gifts. Kaleb made a plaster hand impression at school. It is very sweet. Jasmyn made me a photo frame with her picture. It is a magnet with a clothes pin attached to hang a grocery list on. She has decorated it with a whole bunch of jewels! So cute. Then I look at the cards. Kaleb had written little messages on each one from him, Jasmyn & Mason. Then he drew a picture of each of the kids. They have the letter of their first name on their shirt. Mason's says : Frum Masan to MoM. On the inside it says: Frum Masam two Morm. The the picture of Mason with the M on his shirt with enormous ears and only 3 fingers! So adorable. Jasmyn's says: Frum Jasmyn Two MoM. I Love Yoow Mom. Her picture has pierced ears, and only 3 fingers in each hand, with a J on her shirt! Kaleb's says: Frum Kaleb Two MoM I love yoow Momme. His picture has long hair and a K on his shirt! So sweet.

Then Kaleb decides we should have something "easy" for breakfast so "Mommy doesn't have to cook". He decides on zucchini muffins (we made last night), banana and juice. He even helped pass out plates, silverware and juice. After wards he helped clean up the table and load the dishwasher.

No I did not get a free pass from diapers, a pedicure, or get to sleep in, but what I got was so much more meaningful. Kaleb fully understood what Mother's day was about. He in his own way honored me in ways that are BEYOND his years. He wrangled his siblings and made them understand the importance of the day as much as they could. I am so proud to be Mother! I am proud that Tim and I have instilled compassion, respect, love and appreciation in his person. He really showed me that all the examples and lessons we have tried to teach is really REACHING him. He is so sweet. I am so thankful that I get to be around such an awesome little boy!

Happy Mother's Day to all your Moms out there. I hope your day turned out as wonderful as mine!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That's gotta make you feel so proud!!! Yay Kaleb!