May 24, 2009

Round Lake State Park, Sagle Idaho

I remember going to Round Lake State Park as a child and teen ager. I *think* we even went there on a field trip for grade school once. But I could be mistaken as it has been quite a while ago! Anyway, I decided that we should spend Saturday going on an adventure, since it was the only day of this long weekend that the kids and Tim had the day off from school and work. After googling Round Lake State Park to find out if the trails were open and if they were booked for the weekend. They were booked for camping spots, but still had plenty of day use availability. So we packed a picnic and headed up to check it out.

It was smaller than I remember. LOL! The beach area seemed smaller and the trails seemed shorter. Part of that is because the trails on the east end of the lake are still underwater and impassible. So we didn't make the whole loop around the lake, but what we did see was very beautiful and fun. We saw all sorts of different wild flowers, bugs, grasses, lily pads, fish, birds, etc. The kids loved throwing rocks into the lake and river. We also enjoyed going over the foot bridge that crosses Cocollala river. Jasmyn was a bit scared because the bridge sways slightly when you walk on it.

The hilight for me was just reliving my childhood memories and sharing them with my kids. I think that Tim's favorite part was when we saw the blue heron/Crane (we are still arguing over what it was actually). Tim got some very col pictures of the bird standing on a log with its reflection on the water and one of the bird flying past us. The kids loved playing at the beach. It is still very murky/muddy on the bottom, just like I remembered it. And the mud at the shoreline smells gross, but the kids did not care at all. They gathered rocks to bring home as a "reminder of their adventure".

If you ever get the chance, this park is a pretty cool place to take a nice hike and spend some time creating memories with your family. My only recommendation is to bring bug spray. The mosquitoes were brutal!

I posted a few pictures of our trip on my facebook page, but you can view them from the link below.

Round Lake pictures

No comments: