September 22, 2009

Henna Belly painting - Mandala

My beautiful and talented Aunt Kathy designs Mandalas. She has created Mandalas for each one of my children. She has created Mandala's for the 2 babies that I miscarried before I got pregnant with Kaleb. Kaleb's was not intended to be painted in henna but it is beautiful just the same. Jasmyn Mason and now this baby's Mandalas were designed and created with the purpose of painting on my belly with Henna. My dear friend Sara painstakingly paints the henna on my huge pregnant belly. It is a labor of love for all involved. But such a cool way to honor our baby and to allow my Aunt Kathy to take part in such a special time in my life. You can view a selection of Kathy's Mandalas on her website here. The miscarriage mandala is called "origin". Kaleb's mandala is called "moment of kindness" Mason's is called "mason's welcome". Jasmyn's mandala is not pictured on Kathy's website so I have uploaded a picture below:
Kathy dreams alot of the images that she uses in her mandalas. Her website explains a bit more about the process and she is always open for questions and comments on her healing artwork.

Here is the Mandala she created for this blessed baby we are awaiting



The process of getting the artwork from paper to belly is tedious! You start by making a copy of the artwork the correct size for my belly. This involved a trip to the copy store and some trial and error. Once I got the size correct for my belly size I then trace the artwork onto tissue paper using a washable marker. Here I am tracing the artwork onto white tissue paper.


Then you rub your belly with a lemon water solution to prepare your skin to accept the henna. With a slightly damp belly you apply the tracing to your skin. You dip a washcloth in lemon water and ring it out. Then you apply the damp cloth onto the the trace paper and press the ink onto your skin. Carefully remove the washcloth and then peel the paper off your skin. What should be left is a washable marker tracing of the Mandala artwork. You are then ready to start applying the henna to the skin over the tracing ink.

Here is Sara starting to apply the henna. You start at the top and work down so you always have a place to rest your hand. We figured this out using trial and error! But henna is NOT forgiving. So extra care must be taken to keep the henna only on the lines. It stains quickly and is difficult to remove.


Almost done. You can see the blue tracing marks. Sara is doing a fantastic job!

All done with the henna! Now it just has to dry.

38 weeks pregnant belly!

Close up of the henna side view

After the henna dries you leave the dried paste on for atleast 6 hrs so that it can stain your skin. I left mine on overnight. After Sara was done I was tired and my back hurt so she fixed me up a nest on the futon to get some rest and not smug the henna.
The next day I picked the dried henna paste off my skin and I was left with this beautiful Henna Stain tattoo of Aunt Kathy's Mandala!

It should also darker over the coming days.

38 weeks pregnant! So full of baby and so full of happiness to be pregnant and gratefulness to my family and friends for your support during my pregnancy!

No comments: