October 5, 2008

Halloween Crafts

We have been gearing up for Halloween. Both Kaleb & Jasmyn have trips to the Pumpkin Patch planned. We have costumes figured out (whew! Huge load off my mind). So the next step is to decorate the house. Our friends Sierra, Keagan, Rowan and Sara came over last week and we decorated foam pumpkins to help get the kids ready for all the festivities.
Keagan & Jasmyn
Sierra & Kaleb
Mason & I
Sara & Rowan
Our final projects
I made the kitty cat. Jasmyn got very creative with some scrapes and came up with the other two. They kinda look like Modern Abstract art! She is so creative.
Every year before this one I have gone out and bought new Halloween T-shirts for the kids. Last year each kid had a T-shirt and PJs. LOL! This year they have outgrown last years shirts or they are not appropriate gendered, etc.... I went shopping for new ones, but I could not justify spending the $ on them at the price they were asking. I had planned on skipping the whole idea, until my Family Fun Magazine arrived in the mail. This is the cover:

I figured I could make those for way less than what it would cost me to buy premade ones. So I bought Rit Dye ($3). Salt to add into the Dye ($0.53). Mason needed a white shirt ($3.50) Rubber bands($.049). Black Fabric Paint ($0.44) For a total of: $7.96 before tax. That is about what 1 shirt would have cost me to buy premade. Using white tees we already owned, I made 6 Halloween shirts for $7.96.
I tie dyed white shirts in orange dye. Once the shirts were dry I used cardboard that was around my house to put inside the shirts to prevent bleed through. I painted the Jack o Lantern faces inside the tie dyed circles. I added stems to some of them. 2 of the shirts I put just 1 big Jack O lantern face on. The other ones I put faces on the front and back of the shirts so I had to do those shirts in stages so the fronts would dry and then I could do the back (Wow sorry about the run on sentence. LOL).
Here are some pictures



I made 6 shirts in total. 1 for me, 1 for Mason, 1 for Jasmyn, 1 for Kaleb and 2 extras that may end up being gifts for some respite kids or cousins.

The kids love the end product!

No comments: