October 5, 2008

Jen's Job

Yup that is right... after being basically unemployed for 5+ years I have a job. Well I should say being unemployed from a monetary paying job. I have obviously been working my fingers to the bone with my children. Anyway Tim & I recently decided that we should try to supplement our income in some way. With the rising gas prices effecting everything from energy costs to groceries, I think we are probably like many Americans that are cutting back on expenses and trying to earn more income.

Our major hurdle to overcome was what kind of job could I do while still keeping the kids out of childcare, maintain the same amount of our family time, and still provide enough income to make it worth the effort. I decided to explore the option of using my Foster Care license to provide respite to other foster parents in need of child care. I can do this work in my home with my own kids and still earn some income to help out with our growing expenses. So I contacted the Dept here in our hometown and they were able to quickly set us up with 2 siblings who need care every other weekend while their foster Mom works.

These little ones are just a joy to have in our home. The little boy is about Jasmyn's age and the little girl is a year younger than Mason. They blend very well into our routine and are easy to care for. Our kids just think they are having an all day playdate. It seems to be working out well. We have had the kids for 3 weekends now.

I also can provide respite for other families during the week and on my free weekends. Since Tim works the weekends anyway, I might as well work then as well. Last weekend we had a little 13 mo old girl stay with us overnight on Fri and Sat. It was fun having a baby in the house again! She liked to be held and rocked. I was in heaven since my little ones don't let ya rock them much anymore. It did not however do much to curb my baby fever!

I did find out this week however that I will be making enough money with just the 2 little ones every other weekend that I won't have to take on other respite jobs. I can if I want to, but financially I don't have to which is nice. So I can still have 2 weekends a month free to do stuff with friends and family.

Anyway, I just thought I would share the latest in my life since I have updated you on the kids. I should probably do an update on Tim at some point as well! I do plan on posting some other stuff today, so Tim's update may have to wait!

No comments: