January 10, 2009

TTC update or musings.....

I have been giving our trying to get pregnant journey more thought this week. Mostly because I think I am nearing ovulation. And with ovulation comes the stress of trying to time intercourse to optimize our conception chances. All the while NOT discussing it with Tim as nothing is a bigger turn off to him than "planning" intercourse! LOL!

This cycle is just like all the ones before it. Normal normal normal. And I am having pain around my right ovary so I am assuming I will be ovulating on the right again. Which will result in me getting my period in 2 weeks instead of a positive pregnancy test. All of this makes me wonder if something is wrong with my left ovary.

We have been trying to get pregnant for months now. We are actually approaching the year mark for "trying". Now I realize the first 4-5 months my cycles were all screwed up. SO really even though we were trying to get pregnant it was not gonna happen because my cycles were not right. Then 7 cycles ago I started taking Metformin. And since I started taking Metformin my cycles have been perfect. Normal length, normal everything. And like clockwork over the past 6 and now 7 cycles I have had pain on my right side when ovulation approaches. Granted I get crampy on both sides, but the pronounced and significant pain comes from the right. I can also honestly say that during the past 7 cycles that Tim & I have made a very good effort to time intercourse to optimize our chances at conception. We have done very well in that department actually. And in past years when we tried to get pregnant before we have had similar timed intercourse and have gotten pregnant quickly. Dare I say... easily.

So what is different this time? The only thing I can figure is the blocked right tube. And possibly that the left ovary is not functioning correctly? Why else would I have gone 7 cycles and not ovulated on the left side. Why else am I not pregnant?

So what can I do now? Keep trying. Well yes. But what else? Clomid keeps entering my mind. But I am not sure that is even the best option for us. I know I probably just need to go back to the Dr. and have another consult with him. I have questions about the HSG results and how that fits into this puzzle. Before when I asked Dr. M about Clomid he said no because he felt I was ovulating and that Clomid would simply increase my chances of twins or triplets. But that was before Tim's workup came back normal. And that was also before my HSG came back with a blocked left tube. So would Dr. M have a different answer now that he has more information?

I have seen in my online research that Drs do give patients Clomid to make them produce eggs out of both ovaries in a given cycle. And that certainly would increase our chances of getting pregnant. But considering I only have one functioning tube, would the risk of twins really be increased? Or does clomid cause twins because an egg is released on both sides? If that is the case then with my situation it would not apply, right?

I guess I wrote all of this to basically figure out in my own head that I need more information from the Dr. I mean I can't even have an intelligent conversation with Tim about the Clomid without the answers on what our increased risk of twins is. We can't decide until we know what our options are and what risks we would be taking.

So if you read all of this... it is really just my way of getting to the bottom of the next step in my own mind! Thanks for letting me sit on your couch!

2 comments:

Cris25us said...

Well dear keep trying and if the meds work try them and pray for 1 baby and not more lol. I dont get why you are not ovulating on your left tho that is odd usually you switch sides every month. Do you have endometriosis? If so that could also be part of the problem. I am so sorry you are going thru this. Keep your chin up it and have fun trying lol.

Anonymous said...

Hey Jen,

Yeah, go back to Dr. M & give him more info! I'll bet he recommends Clomid & that might be increasing the risk of multiples, but all your pregnancies have been single pregnancies, so...You wouldn't think it would be very likely that you would conceive twins. I'm a big fan of Clomid!