May 18, 2008

My Cycle **Update**

Yes my cycle is still ongoing..... Cycle day 70 was today. It is strange because I feel like I did when I was Breastfeeding an not cycling. I have periods of time that my body ramps up for Ovulation by way of cramping in my ovary, increased cervical mucous, changes in my Cervix, but then no temp shift to indicate that the Egg was actually released. Then the ramp up period happens again a few weeks later. Basically that is what is happening to me now.

In an effort to be prepared and know what questions to ask at my Dr.appt next week I was doing some reading online at the PCOS websites. Once you start reading about infertility and PCOS you also come across articles explaining other hormonal reasons that a women might not be Ovulating, and therefore infertile. One of those reasons is an increase in the hormone prolactin. Prolactin's main purpose in a women's body is to help her produce Breast milk and also suppress ovulation while a women is breastfeeding. We were made that way so that during the early nursing period a women could not get pregnant and therefore help the survival of the nursling. Makes sense, No? Anyway, a women can have elevated levels of prolactin while NOT lactating and it can cause infertility due to suppression of Ovulation.

There are several reason for an unhealthy increase in prolactin levels, but the ones that "fit" with me are stress and an increase in prolactin due to a problem with Thyroid. Since we all know I have a thyroid problem it isn't that far of a stretch to think that my thyroid could be causing an increase in my prolactin levels.

This is leading me to believe that I should actually cancel my appt with my OB/Gyn (who would probably try BCP first, which I would object to) and just get in to see my endocrinologist. I would think that he would have a better grasp of the way my thyroid problem may play a part in my infertility. He may also be able to determine if my thyroid problem in and of itself is the cause for my infertility.

So I am still trying to figure it all out. But at least I have a path to follow now. It may not lead to answers, but at least we can eliminate some of the possibilities if nothing else. If anyone has any information that might be useful to me in this quest, I would appreciate you sending it along my way.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jen, Take a look at:
http://www.soulcysters.com/

It's a great page with lots of resources and human contacts. -kathy