May 30, 2008

Part of our village

I think it was Hillary Clinton, during her Husband's term as president made the statement "it takes a village to raise a child". And while I highly doubt that was Hillary's independent thought,it still resonates with me. It truly does take alot of people and alot of love and support of a family to raise a child.
This past year our family has been involved in the ECEAP program in our local school district. ECEAP is a preschool program much like the long ago program called Headstart. I went to Headstart as a 3 & 4 year old girl. I remember the building I attended it in and the people that taught me and some of the fun events we did. It was a good experience and one that a lifetime later, I still remember and remember fondly. When I signed the kids up for ECEAP I was hoping very much that my kids would have a great experience as well. I am so very pleased that they got the same great experience in this preschool, that I had 30 years ago in my preschool.
From the Social worker who placed Kaleb & Future & Jasmyn in their classes and supported our family, to the teachers in those classes to the parents of the other preschoolers in the class, we had the most awesome experience this year. Becky was our social worker, Casey, Melissa, Carol were Jasmyn & Future's teachers and Teacher Rozell, Marion and Julie were Kaleb's teachers. We also had some awesome Moms that volunteered in the classroom with me. Caitlyn's Mom and also Keira and Dayja's Mom were such a great influence on the kids and the classroom in general.
I can not say enough good things or even find the words to express how much I appreciate these wonderful women. Here are just a few pictures of my favorite preschool teachers....

This is Becky & Karen. Becky is in the black & white top, Karen in the solid black top. Becky is our social worker. Karen and Becky share an office, so I have been privileged to get to know Karen while interacting with Becky.
The blond waving to us is Casey. She is the head teacher in Jasmyn & Future's class. The blond next to her is Carole who is a teacher in J & F's room as well. And the older lady on the left is the class "Grandma" Barb. And the little girl's face on the bottom right corner is Dayja, one of Jasmyn's friends from school.
This is LaVonda and Karen (again). LaVonda is Dayja & Keira's Mom. LaVonda and I have spent alot of time in the girls classroom together volunteering.
Becky, Karen and Melissa. Melissa is the one on the right. She is a teacher in F & J's class. Melissa has a close bond with Mason. They got to know each other when I would bring him into the classroom with me to volunteer. Mason just loves Melissa. The feeling is very mutual!
And here is Becky taking Mason down the big slide. Mason just loves Becky and of course the slide too!

I feel very blessed to have these lovely ladies as part of the village that loves and supports my children.

No comments: