June 8, 2008

The Insulin-Resistance Diet

After my blood draws and talking with a fellow PCOS-er I figured I should do some research on Insulin-Resistance (IR). I looked online for some books I could read and perhaps a diet I could follow. I came across "The Insulin-Resistance Diet" By Hart & Grossman. My Aunt Kathy had actually recommended this book, but I didn't make the connection until I read the back of the book and in the bio of the Dr. it said that they run a Wellness Clinic in the same town I live in. Over the weekend I have been reading and absorbing the book. I have been trying to fully understand the Link And Balance recommendations of this book so that I can lower/eliminate my insulin spikes. I learned so much from this book. It is amazing what I didn't know about food and how it relates to other foods and how our bodies process that food. It was an amazing read. I would strongly recommend ANYONE that has struggled with weight loss to read the book and adopt the wellness lifestyle described in the book.

I am going to make some changes in my lifestyle. There I said it. It is written down so I must actually follow through! LOL! I have learned a few things in the past few weeks.... When I went to the Endo Dr to find out why I am not having a period or ovulating I had to step on the scale for first time in about 8 months. Now I didn't own a scale at home. Probably because I didn't want to admit the number that I would see. I didn't want to know on a weekly, monthly or even every 6 month basis what I weighed. I figured as long as my clothes still fit that I did not need to know the ACTUAL number. So when I stepped on the scale at the Drs office I was SHOCKED. So shocked I made her weigh me again, in hopes that the scale was wrong. But alas it was the same number. I read those 3 numbers and almost cried. I have achieved my TOP WEIGHT. I have never before weighed as much as I do now. Not even when I was 9 months pregnant, any of the 3 times, did I weigh this much. I am normally a very open person about everything and anything, this blog accounts for that. But I am too embarrassed about the actual number that I will not be sharing it with my blog lovers.

I am not sure if my lack of period comes from the weight gain or if it comes from the PCOS. For that matter I am not sure if the PCOS caused the weight gain and the lack of period. Either way something needs to change.... and soon. PCOS causes IR or maybe the other way around. But changes to your diet and activity level can have positive impacts on both the PCOS and the IR. What I am hoping is that by changing my lifestyle which includes my diet and my activity level that I will be able to lose some weight and get my period and ovulation back. I may also be taking some medications to help me as well, although I don't know what if anything yet, as my Endo Dr. still needs to call me back.

I am making changes to my lifestyle that can last a lifetime. I will always have IR and PCOS, but I can probably reduce or eliminate the symptoms of both with lifestyle changes. IR can turn into full blown diabetes, not to mention increase your chances or heart disease, HBP, certain forms of cancer, and stroke. I really want to grow old with my husband and see my grandkids one day. So my lifestyle must change........

I am going to go on the Insulin Resistance diet with the linking and balancing of Carbs and protein. I am going to increase my activity level. I am giving up sugary soda (yes Megan I am coming over to the dark side of "diet" soda LOL). And I am going to eat smaller meals more frequently. I am going to switch to whole grains and low fat/ leaner meats. I am going to increase my water intake.

Oh and I even bought a scale.

No comments: